At Reliant Air Conditioning we totally understand the challenge of staying cool during a Texas summer while working within a budget. Everyone is looking for that perfect temperature to set your AC too that keeps you cool, but also won’t run up your electric bill.
Obviously the most important factor in saving money on electricity is with an efficient and reliable AC Unit. Once you have your AC Unit tuned up or replaced we have a couple tips on temperature control to save you money.
Finding Your Ideal Temperature
According to the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), the ideal temperature range for occupants dressed in summer clothes is 73F to 79F. From our experience we find our clients to prefer somewhere between 72F -75F.
The U.S Department of Energy on the other hand recommends setting your thermostat to 78 degrees fahrenheit for maximum efficiency.
If this feels too warm for your liking we encourage you to run a ceiling fan at the same time as your thermostat. The added air movement can create a wind chill effect and make the temperature feel 4-8 degrees cooler. Dropping you down to that preferred 72-75 degree range that our customers love!
There are a few steps you can take to find the most reasonable temperature to set your air conditioner at. Here’s how to do it…
Five Ways to Save Money On Electric Without Changing The Thermostat
- Have your AC Unit be inspected for free to see if it is working properly.
- Set your thermostat four degrees higher when you’re away for more than four hours.
- Run a ceiling fan at the same time as your air conditioning.
- Close your shades to block sunlight and prevent heat from entering through your windows, especially while you’re away from home
- New weatherstripping and caulk around doors and windows can help keep cool air in.
If you feel like your electric bill is abnormal high or have a suspicion that your AC Unit isn’t running properly give us a call!